— The Web is still awash in Palin discussion and parody. I can't even try to keep up with it (heck, I can't even muster the emotional strength to deal with comments in yesterday's post) but I have clicked a few noteworthy items -in no particular order or fairness:
- I enjoyed the Palin impersonation here.
- Speaking of impersonations, I laughed out loud a few times at this version of McCain's voicemail to Palin. (Speaking of the folks at 23/6, did I mention how well the Web-famous Get Your War On cartoon translates to video? NOTE: Often contains coarse language.)
- I can't pretend to know the minds of the D.C. press but I felt some sympathy for the suggestion that D.C. pundits are resentful of McCain choosing a running mate outside of their echo chamber. Hey, this guy knew.
- I watched this video making the case that Palin was more involved in the secessionist Alaskan Independence Party than she's currently admitting.
- Someone has been sending into msnbc.com altered photos of Palin looking generally foolish. One of them is actually seeing a lot of Web mileage. RightWingNews actually managed to track down the original of the increasingly famous fake Palin bikini gun photo.
- Intrade allows people to trade in predictions. I first saw it when they opened trading on whether Palin will be withdrawn as the VP candidate but from the front page you can also see where McCain and Obama shares are being traded. I'll be interested to see what the charts look like after Palin's speech tonight. NOTE: I notice that after sitting on this page for a while my browser history is full of page reloads. I assume that's how it stays fresh and I didn't notice any impact on my browser speed but it did strike me as odd.
"Enter the newest piece of Army gear: the Non–Line of Sight Launch System, already nicknamed 'missiles in a box.'" It's like calling in an air strike without needing to bother the Air Force. Point your laser and the missile comes at your command.
(Speaking of Popular Mechanics links, did you know that Popular Mechanics has an online motorcycle riding club?)
As long as we're on two wheels, unique bike photos.
The incredible tribal fashion show inspired by Mother Nature - Here's a further gallery, though I can't figure out how to get there from the site's home page so I can't tell if there's more.
This is what they call the "red band" trailer for Zack and Miri Make a Porno. In this case, the red band means it has (NOTE) unbleeped F-bombs and some sexual themes (but no actual nudity). I've noticed the movie generating a lot of hype but haven't paid very close attention. Now I see why it's expected to be such a funny hit.
Speaking of upcoming movies, did you see Cher may play Catwoman? Yes, I had the same reaction at first, but once I re-swallowed the vomit in my mouth I realized she could really be awesome in this role.
A relatively random Commuter Click: George Orwell: Politics and the English Language - Even though he's speaking to a very different time, the things he says about writing and word selection are maybe more appropriate than ever. It's a little dense and not really a pleasure read so I wasn't going to mention it here but I'm amazed at how much it has stayed with me as I write and edit every day since I read it a week ago.
(After note: No one here in the cube farm caught the reference in my headline today. Anyone?)